• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World
‘That will be it’: Trump says he will not run again if he loses November election

Trump gets $15m in ABC News defamation case

16 December 2024
‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ –   Dede Ayew

‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ – Dede Ayew

23 August 2026
58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

23 August 2026
Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

23 August 2026
50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections

50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections

23 August 2026
GEA Pledges Post-Graduation Support for ICIE Entrepreneurs, Including Business Formalisation and Product Certification

GEA Pledges Post-Graduation Support for ICIE Entrepreneurs, Including Business Formalisation and Product Certification

22 August 2026
Young Entrepreneurs Need More than Training, they need Mentorship, Networks, Finance and Trust –  Timothy Dolan

Young Entrepreneurs Need More than Training, they need Mentorship, Networks, Finance and Trust – Timothy Dolan

22 August 2026
E4Impact Graduates 80 Entrepreneurs in the First Edition of the International Certificate in Impact Entrepreneurship (ICIE) Program

E4Impact Graduates 80 Entrepreneurs in the First Edition of the International Certificate in Impact Entrepreneurship (ICIE) Program

22 August 2026
Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

21 August 2026
Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

21 August 2026
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

21 August 2026
Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence

Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence

21 August 2026
GAF Dismisses Investigation Claims Against Former CDS Oppong-Peprah

GAF Dismisses Investigation Claims Against Former CDS Oppong-Peprah

21 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Advertise
Sunday, August 23, 2026
abcnewsgh
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
abcnewsgh
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Trump gets $15m in ABC News defamation case

by Newsroom
16 December 2024
in World
0
‘That will be it’: Trump says he will not run again if he loses November election
10
VIEWS
ShareTweetSendSend

ABC News has agreed to pay $15m (£12m) to US President-elect Donald Trump to settle a defamation lawsuit after its star anchor falsely said he had been found “liable for rape”.
George Stephanopoulos made the statements repeatedly during an interview on 10 March this year while challenging a congresswoman about her support for Trump.

A jury in a civil case last year determined Trump was liable for “sexual abuse”, which has a specific definition under New York law.

As part of Saturday’s settlement, first reported by Fox News Digital, ABC will also publish a statement expressing its “regret” for the statements by Stephanopoulos.

According to the settlement, ABC News will pay $15m as a charitable contribution to a “Presidential foundation and museum to be established by or for Plaintiff, as Presidents of the United States of America have established in the past”.

The network also agreed to pay $1m towards Trump’s legal fees.

Under the settlement, the network will post an editor’s note to the bottom of its 10 March 2024 online news article about the story.

It will say: “ABC News and George Stephanopoulos regret statements regarding President Donald J Trump made during an interview by George Stephanopoulos with Rep. Nancy Mace on ABC’s This Week on March 10, 2024.”

An ABC News spokesperson said in a statement the company was “pleased that the parties have reached an agreement to dismiss the lawsuit on the terms in the court filing”.

In 2023, a New York civil court found Trump sexually abused E Jean Carroll in a dressing room at a department store in 1996. He was also found guilty of defaming the magazine columnist.

Judge Lewis Kaplan said the jury’s conclusion was that Ms Carroll had failed to prove that Trump raped her “within the narrow, technical meaning of a particular section of the New York Penal Law”.

Judge Kaplan noted that the definition of rape was “far narrower” than how rape is defined in common modern parlance, in some dictionaries and in criminal statutes elsewhere.

In a separate case, also presided over by the same judge, a jury ordered Trump to pay $83.3m to Ms Carroll for additional defamatory statements.

During the 10 March broadcast, Stephanopoulos asked South Carolina Republican congresswoman Nancy Mace how she could endorse Trump.

The anchor falsely said “judges and two separate juries have found him liable for rape”.

Stephanopoulos repeated the claim 10 times throughout the broadcast.

Ahead of the ruling, a federal magistrate judge had ordered Trump and Stephanopoulos to give sworn evidence at depositions next week.

Trump has also sued CBS, the BBC’s US broadcast partner, for “deceptive conduct” over an interview with Kamala Harris.

In 2023, a judge threw out his defamation lawsuit against CNN, in which he alleged the network had likened him to Adolf Hitler.

He has also had lawsuits filed against the New York Times and the Washington Post dismissed.

BBC

Tags: ABC NewsDonald Trump
ShareTweetSendSend
Newsroom

Newsroom

Related Posts

Colombia Declares State of Emergency After 7.4-Magnitude Earthquake Kills 132
World

Colombia Declares State of Emergency After 7.4-Magnitude Earthquake Kills 132

11 August 2026
Typhoon Dolphin Hits Eastern China, Leaves Over 1 Million Evacuated
World

Typhoon Dolphin Hits Eastern China, Leaves Over 1 Million Evacuated

10 August 2026
Oil Prices Fall as Hopes Grow for Strait of Hormuz Reopening
World

Oil Prices Fall as Hopes Grow for Strait of Hormuz Reopening

5 August 2026

Recent Posts

  • ‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ – Dede Ayew 23 August 2026
  • 58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve 23 August 2026
  • Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School 23 August 2026
  • 50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections 23 August 2026
  • GEA Pledges Post-Graduation Support for ICIE Entrepreneurs, Including Business Formalisation and Product Certification 22 August 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
PROFILE OF COP CHRISTIAN TETTEH YOHUNO, DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE

PROFILE OF COP CHRISTIAN TETTEH YOHUNO, DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE

18 July 2024
China displeased with Ghana media misreporting of IMF deal

China displeased with Ghana media misreporting of IMF deal

25 May 2023
Bawumia declares 2024 presidential bid

Group picks up NPP’s flagbearership forms for Bawumia.

26 May 2023
LIST OF RIVERS POLLUTED BY GALAMSEY ACTIVITIES IN GHANA

LIST OF RIVERS POLLUTED BY GALAMSEY ACTIVITIES IN GHANA

12 September 2024
2024 Election: Ayariga claims ‘Vote Theft’, pitches APC as ‘Third Force’

2024 Election: Ayariga claims ‘Vote Theft’, pitches APC as ‘Third Force’

2
Hassan Ayariga accuses EC of auctioning Presidency to wealthiest bidders

Hassan Ayariga accuses EC of auctioning Presidency to wealthiest bidders

1
‘I will import necessary goods in 6 months, lockdown the economy for 1 year’ – Hassan Ayariga explains his policies

‘I will import necessary goods in 6 months, lockdown the economy for 1 year’ – Hassan Ayariga explains his policies

1
Bawumia launches local streaming platform Ghana Music Xperience

Bawumia launches local streaming platform Ghana Music Xperience

1
‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ –   Dede Ayew

‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ – Dede Ayew

23 August 2026
58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

23 August 2026
Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

23 August 2026
50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections

50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections

23 August 2026
abcnewsgh

Copyright © 2026 ABCNewsGH.

Navigate Site

  • Advertise

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports

Copyright © 2026 ABCNewsGH.