• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World
Gabon soldiers oust Ali Bongo, say election result cancelled

Gabon soldiers oust Ali Bongo, say election result cancelled

30 August 2023
Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

21 August 2026
Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

21 August 2026
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

21 August 2026
Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence

Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence

21 August 2026
GAF Dismisses Investigation Claims Against Former CDS Oppong-Peprah

GAF Dismisses Investigation Claims Against Former CDS Oppong-Peprah

21 August 2026
Supreme Court Upholds Chief Justice’s Legal Vacation Powers, Dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s Injunction Bid

Supreme Court Upholds Chief Justice’s Legal Vacation Powers, Dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s Injunction Bid

21 August 2026
Mahama Targets First 1,500 Saglemi Housing Units for Completion by 2027

Mahama Targets First 1,500 Saglemi Housing Units for Completion by 2027

21 August 2026
Gov’t Is Using NDC Organiser’s Prosecution as a “Gimmick” to Douse Criticism Over Attacks on Free Speech — Oppong Nkrumah

Supreme Court sets August 21 to rule on Oppong Nkrumah’s challenge to legal vacation trials

20 August 2026
Convicted Wontumi Still Eyes NPP National Chairmanship Despite 20-Year Jail Term

Convicted Wontumi Still Eyes NPP National Chairmanship Despite 20-Year Jail Term

19 August 2026
‘We Can’t Defend Journalism’s Credibility If Journalists Fail To Uphold Professional Standards’ – GJA

‘We Can’t Defend Journalism’s Credibility If Journalists Fail To Uphold Professional Standards’ – GJA

19 August 2026
GJA@77: ‘Free Press Is a Necessity, Not a Luxury’ – UNESCO Representative on Media’s Role in Nation-Building

GJA@77: ‘Free Press Is a Necessity, Not a Luxury’ – UNESCO Representative on Media’s Role in Nation-Building

19 August 2026
Seyram Krosbi Mensah Seeks National Chief Imam’s Blessings in Bid for NDC National Women’s Organizer Position

Seyram Krosbi Mensah Seeks National Chief Imam’s Blessings in Bid for NDC National Women’s Organizer Position

19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Advertise
Saturday, August 22, 2026
abcnewsgh
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
abcnewsgh
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Gabon soldiers oust Ali Bongo, say election result cancelled

by Newsroom
30 August 2023
in News
0
Gabon soldiers oust Ali Bongo, say election result cancelled
9
VIEWS
ShareTweetSendSend

A dozen Gabonese soldiers appeared on television Wednesday announcing they were “putting an end to the current regime” and the cancellation of an election that, according to official results, President Ali Bongo Ondimba won.

The announcement was live telecasted on national TV, Gabon 1, in the Gabonese capital, Libreville.

During the announcement, the leader of the military junta said, “all the institutions of the republic” had been dissolved.

“We have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime”, one of the soldiers said on TV channel Gabon 24, adding that he was speaking on behalf of the “Committee for the Transition and Restoration of Institutions”.

“To this end, the general elections of 26 August 2023 and the truncated results are cancelled,” he added.

“All the institutions of the republic are dissolved: the government, the Senate, the National Assembly and the Constitutional Court,” he added, announcing the closure of the country’s borders “until further notice”.

Among the soldiers were members of the Republican Guard as well as soldiers of the regular army and police officers.

The announcement came shortly after the national election authority said Bongo, who has been in power for 14 years, had won a third term in Saturday’s election with 64.27 percent of the vote.

Bongo’s main rival, Albert Ondo Ossa, won just 30.77 percent of the vote, according to the results.

Ondo Ossa had denounced “fraud orchestrated by the Bongo camp”, claiming victory ahead of the closure of polls.

On Monday, Ondo Ossa’s campaign manager Mike Jocktane called on Bongo to hand over power “without bloodshed”, insisting a partial count had Ondo Ossa clearly ahead, without providing any proof.

Gabonese law forbids any publication of partial results pending the final result which only the Gabonese Elections Centre, the body that organises the polls, is legally allowed to publish.

The official election results were broadcast at 03:30 (02:30 GMT) on state television without any prior announcement of the event.

Before polls closed on Saturday, Bongo’s government imposed a curfew and a nationwide internet shutdown to prevent the spread of “false news” and possible violence, according to Libreville.

Tags: Gabon
ShareTweetSendSend
Newsroom

Newsroom

Related Posts

Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments
News

Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

21 August 2026
Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel
News

Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

21 August 2026
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away
News

CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

21 August 2026

Recent Posts

  • Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments 21 August 2026
  • Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel 21 August 2026
  • CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away 21 August 2026
  • Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence 21 August 2026
  • GAF Dismisses Investigation Claims Against Former CDS Oppong-Peprah 21 August 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
PROFILE OF COP CHRISTIAN TETTEH YOHUNO, DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE

PROFILE OF COP CHRISTIAN TETTEH YOHUNO, DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE

18 July 2024
China displeased with Ghana media misreporting of IMF deal

China displeased with Ghana media misreporting of IMF deal

25 May 2023
Bawumia declares 2024 presidential bid

Group picks up NPP’s flagbearership forms for Bawumia.

26 May 2023
LIST OF RIVERS POLLUTED BY GALAMSEY ACTIVITIES IN GHANA

LIST OF RIVERS POLLUTED BY GALAMSEY ACTIVITIES IN GHANA

12 September 2024
2024 Election: Ayariga claims ‘Vote Theft’, pitches APC as ‘Third Force’

2024 Election: Ayariga claims ‘Vote Theft’, pitches APC as ‘Third Force’

2
Hassan Ayariga accuses EC of auctioning Presidency to wealthiest bidders

Hassan Ayariga accuses EC of auctioning Presidency to wealthiest bidders

1
‘I will import necessary goods in 6 months, lockdown the economy for 1 year’ – Hassan Ayariga explains his policies

‘I will import necessary goods in 6 months, lockdown the economy for 1 year’ – Hassan Ayariga explains his policies

1
Bawumia launches local streaming platform Ghana Music Xperience

Bawumia launches local streaming platform Ghana Music Xperience

1
Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

21 August 2026
Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

21 August 2026
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

21 August 2026
Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence

Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence

21 August 2026
abcnewsgh

Copyright © 2026 ABCNewsGH.

Navigate Site

  • Advertise

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports

Copyright © 2026 ABCNewsGH.