• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World
Over 11 million SIM cards risk deactivation

Deactivated SIM cards can still be registered – Telecoms Chamber

5 June 2023
‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ –   Dede Ayew

‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ – Dede Ayew

23 August 2026
58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

23 August 2026
Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

23 August 2026
50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections

50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections

23 August 2026
GEA Pledges Post-Graduation Support for ICIE Entrepreneurs, Including Business Formalisation and Product Certification

GEA Pledges Post-Graduation Support for ICIE Entrepreneurs, Including Business Formalisation and Product Certification

22 August 2026
Young Entrepreneurs Need More than Training, they need Mentorship, Networks, Finance and Trust –  Timothy Dolan

Young Entrepreneurs Need More than Training, they need Mentorship, Networks, Finance and Trust – Timothy Dolan

22 August 2026
E4Impact Graduates 80 Entrepreneurs in the First Edition of the International Certificate in Impact Entrepreneurship (ICIE) Program

E4Impact Graduates 80 Entrepreneurs in the First Edition of the International Certificate in Impact Entrepreneurship (ICIE) Program

22 August 2026
Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

Ghana Clears Oil Sector Disputes, Unlocks US$3.5bn in Investment Commitments

21 August 2026
Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

Court Reverses Takeover of Cheddar’s No. 1 Oxford Street Hotel

21 August 2026
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Isaac Bampoe Addo Passes Away

21 August 2026
Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence

Wontumi’s Campaign Team Picks NPP Chairmanship Forms Despite 20-Year Prison Sentence

21 August 2026
GAF Dismisses Investigation Claims Against Former CDS Oppong-Peprah

GAF Dismisses Investigation Claims Against Former CDS Oppong-Peprah

21 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Advertise
Sunday, August 23, 2026
abcnewsgh
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
abcnewsgh
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Deactivated SIM cards can still be registered – Telecoms Chamber

by Newsroom
5 June 2023
in News
0
Over 11 million SIM cards risk deactivation
14
VIEWS
ShareTweetSendSend

All unregistered Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) that have been deactivated can still be registered, the Chamber of Telecommunications has assured.

The Chamber said data on the deactivated SIM cards would be restored immediately the user completed the registration exercise using the Ghana Card and biometric data captured by the mobile operator.

In an interview, Dr Kenneth Ashigbey, Chief Executive Officer, Chamber of Telecommunications, said at least three million unregistered SIM cards had been deactivated as of Thursday morning.

He said as of May 31, 2023 – the deadline for the SIM registration exercise – about nine million SIM cards had not been registered.

Dr Ashigbey said six million more unregistered SIM cards could be deactivated in the coming days.

He said users of the deactivated SIM cards could not make or receive calls, send or receive text messages, access internet services, and perform mobile money transactions.

However, the deactivated numbers could receive messages from their mobile operator and could also access the code for the registration of the SIM card – *404#.

“It is important that we all take advantage of this window and register our SIM cards now because we don’t know when the National Communications Authority (NCA) will close that window.

“The Ministry of Communications and Digitalisation, the NCA, and the Telcos are not interested in barring people’s numbers. It is to ensure that these fraudsters that are in the system are taken out,” Dr Ashigbey said.

The SIM card registration campaign started on October 1, 2021, and was due to end on March 31, 2022.

The National Identification Card, also known as the Ghana Card, is the only document that can be used to undertake the registration exercise.

However, due to some difficulties in the acquisition of the Ghana Card, the NCA extended the deadline for registration multiple times until May 31, 2023, which was communicated as the final deadline.

Dr Ashigbey said about 7.4 million mobile money accounts, holding an amount of GHc200 million have not been registered and thus will be deactivated.

He said monies on blocked accounts would be kept in a special account.

Dr Ashigbey said owners of restored mobile money accounts would be required to undergo a process to have monies restored in their wallets.

“If you do not have a Ghana Card, go to the National Identification Authority for the card. Once you get the Ghana card, dial the registration code, and get registered. Once you get registered, you will get your number back,” Dr Ashigbey said.

Source: citinewsroom
Tags: Chamber of TelecommunicationsDr Kenneth AshigbeyKen AttafuahregistrationSIM card
ShareTweetSendSend
Newsroom

Newsroom

Related Posts

58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve
News

58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

23 August 2026
Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School
News

Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

23 August 2026
Young Entrepreneurs Need More than Training, they need Mentorship, Networks, Finance and Trust –  Timothy Dolan
News

Young Entrepreneurs Need More than Training, they need Mentorship, Networks, Finance and Trust – Timothy Dolan

22 August 2026

Recent Posts

  • ‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ – Dede Ayew 23 August 2026
  • 58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve 23 August 2026
  • Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School 23 August 2026
  • 50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections 23 August 2026
  • GEA Pledges Post-Graduation Support for ICIE Entrepreneurs, Including Business Formalisation and Product Certification 22 August 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
PROFILE OF COP CHRISTIAN TETTEH YOHUNO, DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE

PROFILE OF COP CHRISTIAN TETTEH YOHUNO, DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE

18 July 2024
China displeased with Ghana media misreporting of IMF deal

China displeased with Ghana media misreporting of IMF deal

25 May 2023
Bawumia declares 2024 presidential bid

Group picks up NPP’s flagbearership forms for Bawumia.

26 May 2023
LIST OF RIVERS POLLUTED BY GALAMSEY ACTIVITIES IN GHANA

LIST OF RIVERS POLLUTED BY GALAMSEY ACTIVITIES IN GHANA

12 September 2024
2024 Election: Ayariga claims ‘Vote Theft’, pitches APC as ‘Third Force’

2024 Election: Ayariga claims ‘Vote Theft’, pitches APC as ‘Third Force’

2
Hassan Ayariga accuses EC of auctioning Presidency to wealthiest bidders

Hassan Ayariga accuses EC of auctioning Presidency to wealthiest bidders

1
‘I will import necessary goods in 6 months, lockdown the economy for 1 year’ – Hassan Ayariga explains his policies

‘I will import necessary goods in 6 months, lockdown the economy for 1 year’ – Hassan Ayariga explains his policies

1
Bawumia launches local streaming platform Ghana Music Xperience

Bawumia launches local streaming platform Ghana Music Xperience

1
‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ –   Dede Ayew

‘Otto Addo should have been sacked long ago after failing to qualify for the AFCON’ – Dede Ayew

23 August 2026
58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

58-Year-Old Wildlife Guard Shot Dead at Kakum Forest Reserve

23 August 2026
Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

Salaga-South MP Hands Over Site for New Classroom Block at Sakafatu Islamic School

23 August 2026
50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections

50 Pick Forms for 11 Positions as NPP Closes Nominations for National Executive Elections

23 August 2026
abcnewsgh

Copyright © 2026 ABCNewsGH.

Navigate Site

  • Advertise

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports

Copyright © 2026 ABCNewsGH.